4.06.2006

Hallmark to Parents

If I were like Adam Sandlers' character in Mr. Deeds & wrote greeting cards as a hobby, I'd have a doozie in the works. It would be for the parentals in my life. And their constant bailing me out. It would go a little something like this:

(outside:) I guess you'll be my parents forever. (inside:) Thanks for taking care of me....over....and over....and over again.

Everytime I have one of my bajillion incidents I seem to have with medical marvel, the parents are always there. No matter what. So, thank you...I love you. If it wasn't for my mom calling into work on a (literal) moment's notice as Jeff was hauling my grey rear into the ER, it was for Papa whose wagon-pulling talents only compete with his ability to draw the best monkeys & boats. Or Gammy's (spelled correctly!) willingness to spend an entire hour with screaming barefoot toddlers so that Flynn didn't miss gymnastics. As I'm sure everyone does, with age I've come to realize that I spent the better part of 30 years underappreciating the 2 people who would've given anything to keep me healthy & happy -- with NIKEs on my feet. My mom is like the hardest working woman I know, who has spent the last 7 days washing Jeff's bottomless dirty laundry basket. She's one of those people who never tries to go noticed, but should. My dad, I'm certain, was put on earth to be a model grandfather -- or um, Papa -- to new grandfathers who don't know how. When around people under five, he loses regular adult vocabulary & only knows how to giggle incessantly and use words like sugar, darlin' & "Papa's Here." He's known by his truck and his cap. Even Alex loves Papa & looks fwd to his visits.

My hope is that when Flynn is given an assignment, "Write about a woman who you feel is a role model", that she'll think of me with the same strength & respect as we do of our parents.

I love you guys and my words can never reflect my appreciation. May we, along with our children, be blessed with many more of your years.

No comments: