Today, Jeff & I celebrate our 4th year of marriage.
On this day, back on a VERY HOT June day in 2002, Jeff & I vowed our love to each other -- at my parents' place. Family & a few close friends joined us. Jeff looked particularly handsome in his (very hot) tux & I sported some unflattering layers of taffeta (or some kind of sheer cheesecloth). My nieces were darling & I'm so glad they were all there.
But more important than that particular day has been the one thousand ninety-six days since then. And boy have they been full days.
We left the following day for our honeymoon. When we returned six days later, we prepared for a summer of teaching summer school. During which time, our house was finished being built; so we moved. And I took three graduate courses toward my masters' degree. We immediately wanted children. So, we immediately tried (or didn't try not to --- as we always said). Six months into the school year, we made a definite decision to not stay at Brennan Woods. So we did not sign our contracts for the following year. Shortly afterward, I saw two lines on the stick.
I took SIX -- Yep, I said six -- EPT tests. It just didn't seem real! We'd tried for nine long months & finally!! Jeff was showering & I for the life of me, couldn't muster up enough discipline to wait & think of some special way to break the news. So I barged into the bathroom yelling, "Is this a line? Is this a line???!!!!" I jumped up & stood on the toilet, hoisting the stick over the shower doors at him. Then, I sent him to Walgreens for 2 more.
Five months and a bajillion interviews later, we will couldn't find jobs. Facing the possibility of losing our house, we were stressed. Then up went my blood pressure & I was put on bedrest. Even if I'd found a job, I wouldn't be able to work.
Somehow we made it financially, but I got even more sick & Flynn was taken a month early through emergency cesarean. She was sick & was taken from us & transported to a different hospital in a different city. Heartbroken, we once again leaned on each other. There were nights when we just cried & hugged each other. Jeff was always my rock though.
Flynn grew & thrived & we decided it was time to bless her with a sister or a brother. We were excited to be pregnant again less than a year later. But shortly into the pregnancy, we lost that baby. What an upset... But we quickly remembered that God was in control. And had our love and each other... and Flynn.
Less than two months after that, I became pregnant with Gabe. And I was bound and determined to do all I could to carry a healthy baby to term. So I did my part. However, Jeff got kidney stones (again) & believe it or not, SO DID I (in my pregnant state!!) My stones got so bad that I eventually passed 2 of them... less than a month before Gabe's arrival. Painful & about the size of 1/3 of a dime, the stones prepared me for having Gabe the "original" way. Another bonding moment in our marriage.
Less than two months after that, I started having horrid pains. More stones!! --- this time, tho, they were in my gal bladder. And so, we had to schedule surgery, the week of thanksgiving. So, again, Jeff had a big job of holding down the fort & doing his job and mine.
Four months after that, I got sick again. Possibly the sickest I've ever been. See my cryptosporidium entry. Faced with the unknown - I once again leaned on Jeff. And can I just add how much fun he is in a hospital room. Always a comment, always a laugh.
Now & hopefully forever, we're all healthy. We're all happy. And Flynn is the huggingest kid I've ever seen. She's always ready with a kiss & hug. And I believe this is because she sees her parents hug & kiss EVERYDAY (sometimes several times a day). I hope our kids always know the love and respect we have for each other. I hope everyone knows the love & respect I have for Jeff. He means more to me than any earthly person. His love for God, for me & for our kids stand out as the best thing about him.
The last four years have proven my life's destiny. And how adventurous they've been... can't think of anyone I'd rather venture with.
Here's to forty more....
I love you Jeff.
Happy Anniversary.
6.02.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment