10.16.2007

Little Lady

Lately, mostly because it's just easier, Jeff & I will divide & conquer when it comes to bath -- rather shower time. And since Flynn doesn't let anything slide by her without noticing, she tells me,
"I want a towel on my head too."
She definitely has enough hair to do the "wet hair twisted up in a towel" thing.
She also (too bad I don't have a photo of it) put lotion on BY HERSELF, PRETTY MUCH UNATTENDED, while I was finishing up my shower. When I peeked at her (after hearing scary silence), she was head-to-toe lathered up in lubriderm lotion. She could've entered a greased pig contest.
She is closely monitored now while lubing herself up.

And I hesitated posting about this for various reasons, but feel that the hearty laugh you'll get out of this will far outweigh any need for keeping this story in the closet.
And because my motivation behind keeping this blog is to remember these stories. The same way everyone in the family remembers a story about me, sulking (probably had just gotten in trouble), sitting in front of the news (about 4 I think?). When Betsy Bruce signed off (yes, can you believe she's been on the air for 30 years??!!), my hateful response was, "Betsy BUTT HOLE."
Icky icky words. But now we laugh. And what a brat.
Which brings me to this bratty anecdote...

Gi & the girls were taking Flynn to Six Flags on Saturday. They came & picked her up & not 5 minutes down the road, she announces to them in a precise & slow manner,
"My Mom is a butt."
Angie said she tried to quickly diffuse the situation (aka interject before everyone laughed) by turning around & explaining that's not a word we use or call anyone.
But she had a defense ready, "If you say it nice, it's okay & not so bad."

For the life of me, I could not figure out where she'd even heard something in such context. I'm proud to say my kids have a very sheltered childhood. That's how we want it. We use the correct anatomical names for body parts, and don't even say butt. I searched my mind, did I call Jeff a butt head in front of her? Did she overhear it in public?
We're very careful about what they see on tv. If it's not PBS, I would rather they not watch it. And they never watch anything but very mild children's movies as far as movies go.

But we do go to Target, and soccer, and I can't control the language of everyone she is around. But I will explain to her different things that she hears & that not everything someone else says is okay for her to say.

But as far as her rebuddle...her twist of Thumper's, 'if you haven't got something nice to say, don't say it at all'?...

Lord help me.

No comments: