1.18.2007

She's Going to be a Firefighter


For the longest time, Flynn claimed she was going to be a doctor, actually, she said, "I'm going to be like Dr Diehl" (her pediatrician).
'Fine by me!' I thought. She'll make a ton of money. It's a safe profession. It's highly revered & respected. Very rewarding.
She had plans of doctorhood for probably a year. She contantly checked our breathing with her fisher-price stethoscope. She loved giving shots. Goodness knows, she'd had enough practice being at the patient end.
Then yesterday all that changed. I'm not sure if she saw something on tv or in a book that sparked her interested, but she excitedly informed me, "Mom, When I am a firefighter, I'm going to grow up!!" (I assumed this was meant to be reversed).
I guess I was a little shocked, although, why should I be? This girl is anything but girly.
I explained to her, in case she didn't know, exactly what all firefighting entailed.
She nodded her head, like she knew it all.
Then she told me...
"I want to wear the hat."

No comments: