I was cleaning last night when I found a brand new VHS of Bambi. I bought it probably ten or so years ago - I think as a gift, but never gave it away. I've been doing some purging of sorts, in that I either use stuff or we give it away, no more storing!! So, I opened it up last night & we watched it.
Flynn was mesmerized. She was in love with Bambi, Thumper & Flower. This of course brought about questions of death (Bambi's mom) & the seasons & romantic love (remember the scene where they all find girlfriends??).
Some people don't show their children movies which have viewer-sensitive content. And I did have to resist the urge to shield her eyes from the mommy-dying scene. But it's all a part of life, and I can't shield them from that. And there are so many fabulous parts of the movie.
It was so fun watching it with the kids. Gabe fell right to sleep, but Flynn asked lots of great questions & made several comments.
One great comment (which perhaps I should've posted as 'Deep Thoughts by Flynn') was while watching the scene where Bambi first lays eyes on Faline. Bambi 'stumbles' over to a clear pool of water, where he's startled by his reflection. Flynn quickly said, "He sees his shadow." Which of course gave her science teacher dad the opportunity to explain reflection.
In the words of the great Thumper...
"Eating greens is a special treat, It makes long ears and great big feet. But it sure is awful stuff to eat. I made that last part up myself."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment