12.01.2007

Charles Schulz Might Not Approve

">



But it's funny, nonetheless.

And we certainly mean no disrespect, as we ARE HIS BIGGEST FANS around here.

My kids aren't your typical kids... their likes are very unique. They aren't into the Disney stuff, the popular cartoons; and although I realize that a lot of that has to do w/ the fact that it's all rabbit ears here (no cable), I like to think it has a wee bit to do with how we're raising them.

Granted, I'm not abolishing Santa, I'm not denying them tv or electric; however, I try to avoid the commercialism & the hype of most things.

I hope it sticks.

For now, it's a love of things like the Peanuts gang, they were into The Chipmunks (before we saw the trailer of the movie with the guy from My Name is Earl), & they love simple things like Grammy's homemade pillowcases, & hand-painted nesters. They get a kick out of playing candyland. And altho we love us some good movie time, they're happy sitting at the table coloring.
Last night when Gabe was heading off to bed, he turned around & big adieu to the nativity, "bye bye baby Jeees".

Let's go back to the whole Peanuts fascination...
When Gabe was tiny, we got the Peanuts "triology" for Christmas. Flynn was freshly 2 & started calling the movie, "Brown". The following year, Gabe was one & almost old enough to join her in the appreciation. Last spring we borrowed "Snoopy Come Home" from Ms Renee (I promise, we will return it Renee) & it spawned an even deeper love for the dog.
Its usual spot is in the dvd player of our car, where it gets watched continuously. Part of me feels bad that they're held captive during travel & they spend most of that time watching the movie, but when I turn around & see their faces, I don't feel so bad anymore...

There's one particular scene "Fun-damental Friend-ependibility", where Snoopy is getting a bath by the little girl who found him. When the scene is approaching, they start to anticipate it. Flynn will look at Gabe, Gabe at her, & they start to laugh. And when the really funny scenes come on, they're sharing it in explosive laughter... and it's as if they're just feeding off each other. If one by some very rare chance, has lost attention, the other will call it back for the best parts..."Bubby Look!"

I know that this stage might not last. Soon they'll be 'big kids' & will have the interests of most kids.

But for now, we're able to enjoy movies together...

and do the Peanuts dance.

No comments: