Gabe got a cold on Good Friday. A few days later that cough began. For the following month, he has had a pretty bad cough, off & on. About two weeks after the cough began, I called the pediatrician's office, who offered to 'call out something for the cough.' I'm all about keeping the kids comfy, but am not thrilled about just putting a band aid on the problem. So I declined & did what I hoped would help.
Last week, his coughing escalated & by mid-week, he'd spiked a fever. I called the pedi-office, where I 'asked' for him to be seen. As I posted last week, we were sent onto have x-rays done, which were clear & negative for pneumonia. On the phone, the phone nurse from the dr's office, gave me the results & then recommended I treat the fever. No antibiotics.
That kind of surprised me; I figured if we needed an x-ray, we'd need some antibiotics. But, I trust the dr very much, & didn't argue it.
But, after he ran a temp all day Friday. Sat early morning. Then, again Sunday night, I've really been concerned. He has to be losing weight, he is not interested in eating most of the time. I can almost get one meal out of him each day. All morning with Papa, he just wanted to lay in Papa's arms. And THAT is rare when his favorite person of all time, Papa is here. Then, he fell asleep just a few hours after waking, & ended up sleeping over 4 hours. Now, the boy loves his naps, but doesn't usually love them 4 hour's worth.
Whatever this is, doesn't appear to be contagious. I've accidentally exposed him to others(unknowingly) several times. And over this month-long illness, not one of us has succumbed to what he has.
So, here I sit, hearing him cough his head off while he tries to sleep. Sometimes the cough sounds like he's getting something up; sometimes it's high in tone & almost squeaky. This past month we've tried triaminic, dimetapp, children's mucinex, rx-robitussin, rx-bromfed, humidifiers, showers, warm apple juice, avoiding dairy, propping him, praying for him. Jeff & I have just now decided to use Sissy's nebulizer to give him an albuterol treatment (totally diagnosing & medicating him OURSELVES) to see if that will help him at all.
If tomorrow is anything like today, I will call before the office closes to set an appointment for the following morning. If they don't want to see him, perhaps we'll be trying out a new practice. A month is too long to put up with being sick.
So, say a prayer for my sick skinny boy, that he'll get some relief & sleep cough-free tonight. And won't see another virus til NEXT flu season.

6 comments:
Poor little guy. I will be thinking of him...hope he gets well soon.
My 10 month old is finally getting better after his long battle with cough and congestion. No antibiotics, just had to wait it out basically. He's had this off and on all winter. I hope it doesn't come back...in a week.
I hope it's not allergies or asthma. I know Flynn has those. Has Gabe ever been tested? Poor little guy. I'll keep him in my prayers.
Poor guy! I feel so bad for you and Jeff, too b/c it's so HARD to see your kids sick and not know how to help them.
I know they did an x-ray- but did they do a blood panel? To show if his white count is high or if it's low? That would give you a good idea if whatever he is fighting is viral OR bacterial. It may not be pneumonia, but it could be something else. I would bring him back in tomorrow and ask them right away to fun a blood panel. It's just a simple finger poke - not too traumatic.
That way you can rest assured at least knowing what he has (viral vs. bacterial).
Don't take no for an answer- I would insist on getting him in today or tomorrow- for your own peace of mind.
I will say a prayer for him!!
does Gabe have seasonal outdoor allergies? Linus has them and a nebulizer always helps him.
SO glad to come back and read the UPDATE. Yeah!
LOVE the red specs.
Hey, I hope you get things straightened out with the dr. But if not, I can recommend a GREAT one. We love our ped.
(This is Kim Z)
Post a Comment