9.11.2008

A Parenting Low

I feel like I am at an all-time low w/ my parenting. My children are misbehaving, they seem unyhappy with the other, and worst of all, I'm reacting to them exactly like I shouldn't.

I'm sure it's a combination of Jeff's long hours, me being sick, me being tired & then in turn - superimpatient.

I do not like to tell them something more than once. If I repeat myself, I feel like I am making a major parenting error.

Jeff & I had a beautiful black lab, Marley (yes, named after Jeff's favorite reggae singer, Bob). Marley was given all sorts of opportunities (other than growing up into an adult dog) to behave. One of them was obedience training.
One of the things we learned was to say 'no' ONCE.
If he didn't obey at that ONE TIME of saying 'no' (or given a command), he was punished -- more like redirection. (you say sit once. he didn't sit that once. we MADE him sit.)
While going through this training, I vocalized how similar this was to child-rearing. And as unflattering as it sounds to be compared to a dog, it's the truth.

I saw this confirmed in the episodes of supernanny & nanny 911 I saw.

But this is real life. And Jo Frost isn't in the next room observing me. I have life to do. And places to be at a certain time. And I don't always feel like keeping a low tone or squatting down & speaking to them at their level.
I feel like yelling, "I said to put on your shoes!" Or getting mad when Gabe grabs Flynn's hair. Because life gets in the way. And I am not perfect. Much less than actually.

But that is not my kids' faults. And this is their only childhood. I want it to be as perfect as it can humanly be. When we don't have a good day & I didn't even come close to exhibiting Christ-likeness, I kneel beside their bed & ask them to forgive me. And when we pray, we ask God to forgive us both.

That's forgiveness.

I need to get back to being proactive.

Each day this week, I've said to Jeff (the one time I get to talk to him during the day), "Tonight, can we have a family meeting & make a chart?"
Then, the kids are either in bed, or we're all too tired to make it happen.

But tonight's the night. Late or not. Tired or not. We'll have charts all over the place. Charts for listening. Charts for being fight-free. Stickers gallore.

Maybe I should have a chart?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Parenting is the HARDEST JOB - but MOST REWARDING that we will ever do! Many times I have felt frustrated - Why can't they just get along?

I am not a perfect Mom, nor are my children perfect. There are days that go wonderfully and other days I just shake my head and wonder why they do what they do.

We must Pray for our children and ourselves. With God's help, we will all make it!

Hugs

Ken and Amanda said...

I agree. Parenting is hard, but with God in our life and continual prayer, we will get there! I feel the same ways some days!! Keep in there!

Anonymous said...

Please take the time to look around because if you don't you will miss out on a lot. I wish I could just go back one day to when my children were small and we could spend a whole day together playing and enjoying each other. Now all I have is an empty house and memories. Because life is a like a vapor and our little ones grow up all too soo. So, enjoy them when you can. And pick them up and hold onto them close. Let them feel Jesus in you.
And one more thing, I used to yell also at my children, now I wonder why???? Why did I do that?

Lakeville Vertical said...

Well, you know by my last post that you and I are in similar boats. Reading the anonymous post makes me cry. I will probably ask myself the same questions. However, we are still human you and I. We make mistakes and need forgiveness. You are a great mom and you are showing your kids that even you aren't perfect (gasp) and even showing them how to ask for forgiveness. Hang in there. I know how you feel. :)

Angela said...

Oh my goodness, Amy- I absolutely could have written this exact same post- the exact same way- yesterday or today. I have been going through the same thing here. I just was saying to Mike last night- "what am I doing wrong?" Why is it that kids these days- and my kids especially- don't feel like they have to obey the first time, or- worse, feel like they have the right to say "no" even jokingly when I tell them to do something. I am so worn out. I feel like I'm actually a pretty strict parent. Is that the problem? Am I too strict? Not consistent enough?? I don't know- but especially with home schooling these kids and having them around 24/7, I have got to find ways to get out- by myself- more. And I have GOTTTTT to figure something else out with my approach/discipline because what I am doing right now is just not working. No respect. I always think I'll do charts- but I don't know where to start! I don't know- what's a realistic goal to work towards, 20 stickers? 50?? I just don't know. What are you doing with your charts and reward system??
Thanks again for your post- I really needed to know, today, that I am not alone!