Last Wed., Flynn started losing her voice. Days went by where she was extremely hoarse. Incidently, her lips also got a few bumps on them.
It worried me enough to take her to the dr Monday (thank you for another co-pay). The dr did a step test, which was negative. She said her throat was red, but that was all. That she really didn't have anything but laryngitis (sp?) --- which is basically, a lack of voice.
BUT, in true high-strung fashion, I could not let it go. I mean, how does a 5 yr old get a random loss of voice? It's not as if she attended a concert or sporting event to strain her voice, or spent the day singing opera.
Today her voice is MUCH better. No more bumps around her mouth. And I noticed that it got increasingly better after Monday.
Enter my detective work. My girl has been loving on this new (Christmas present) AVON disney chapstick. Jeff hated the stuff instantly because Wednesday (making the connection?) she decided she needed to start lubing up with this stuff, which is dark & super covering. Reminds me of one of the old ladies at the nursing home I used to work at. You know, the ones whose coffee cups are covered with bright redness.
I look over at that same chapstick, which she has not worn for several days, & it dawns on me to check the label.
And you guessed it, MILK PROTEIN. About 1/2 way down.
I have been letting my girl smear MILK all over her lips (& undoubtedly the amount that went in her mouth & down her throat).
Just a reminder to my allergy friends, to check even the most minor things, like lip & skin products... hair/body care.... and medicine (I almost gave her culturell, by recommendation of the pedatrician, when she had diarrhea) which sometimes contains milk protein.
And Avon, you've disappointed me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Yikes!!! That is so scary!
As a nut allergy sufferer (although peanuts, almonds and cashews can be consumed in small doses - odd I know! Walnuts, pecans and pine nuts will snap me shut like a mouse trap) I tend to put everything edible under a microscope. And anything all natural (lotions, shampoo's etc).
Oh my goodness ... that is really bazaar! Who knew lip balm could contain milk products?
That poor little Miss ;-(
XOXOXO, grammy
So glad you solved the mystery! Like you, I've got to be a detective and KNOW what is going on with my kiddos.
Good job, mom! :)
I remember my little girl getting hives from some Aveeno lotion (dont recall which particular one)...but it had "hydrolyzed milk protein" in it...needless to say she was itching all night and sneezing..
Post a Comment