Gabe's speech is delayed. He should be forming 3-word sentences. But he doesn't. He tries very hard to talk. But it's mostly a language that no one here knows.
Sometimes when he's trying to tell us something, it starts out as a "Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ---" then he comes out with it.
He also does some swapping of sounds. Where the word's ending sound might get tacked onto the beginning. He also leaves out some vowels & more often, a consonant.
For example, "Daddy" is "Day".
Had he been my first child, I would probably be overreacting right now. But, we're both educators & we know that us flipping out isn't going to help matters.
Next month, when he's officially 30 months, he will be referred to speech therapy. And we will take him to get all the help that's offered (I'm sure at a cost).
I know it's in there. Today Jeff picked up a green block & asked him what color. "Geen!" he shouted out. So, he knows what words he's wanting to form, it's just challenging for him to form them.
For now, we relish his speech. We don't encourage his mispronounciations, well, maybe sometimes we'll call his "cup" a "goggy", because that's what he calls it. But for now, we think it's endearing.
********************************
I was switching his chest's contents over to the 'new' chest -- as one of the very few changes we were able to make in transformation of nursery to big boy room (there's a lot we want to do, but not much we can afford to do).
And looky what I ran across. A baby hat. It even has little bear ears. I stretched it over his big head & said, "Aww Bubs, a baby hat!... Now, GO show Daddy!"

So, down the hall he gallops & approaches Jeff.
"Mmm...beeby hhhhhta."
Now, that's something you could spread on your biscuit. And I wanted to hear it over & over again. (I actually would've loved to have downloaded it & put it on my iPod)
So, throughout the course of the weekend, Bubby would find his beeby hta & put it on. He tried to sleep in it. And when he woke up one morning, he diligently searched for it.
It makes me laugh that kids this age can have mini-fixations with things. It's the beeby hta now, what will it be next...

No comments:
Post a Comment