5.13.2008
Like a Kid in a Candy Store
Today, in a town about 20 miles from here, a Dierbergs opened. We've been passing the exit for months now, watching the days on the 'countdown' banner dwindle, while my excitement did anything but dwindle.
Never did I think I'd be so excited about a GROCERY STORE opening. But when you live in a somewhat rural town that has a bunch of grocers, but none who give a hoot about soy products or whole products or organic foods.
Heck, the 'fanciest' grocery store in our town had no clue what andouille sausage is. Each person I asked, passed me onto the next, until I finally got to deal with the butcher. He answered me with a good southern Missouri draw, "Ohhhh.... you mean AN-DILLY sausage."
Me: "Sure."
And it had to be special ordered.
So, you can see that finding cutting edge products might be a problem. So, I nearly wet myself when I walked into that big store today & happened upon a WHOLE aisle dedicated to all things organic.
And Jeff's going to wet himself when he finds out that I spent $99 on such products. But honey, good eatin' ain't cheap. Just ask the butcher about the an-dilly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
PS I do realize that the Kefir is NOT safe for Flynn. It just so happens that in this photo, it's all things good for her, then that (which is for Bubs).
Are there any Trader Joe's in your neck of the woods? (I love that saying, BTW) They are out here and seem to be opening lots of new stores. You'd love 'em. And their shopping bags are just way too cool. :)
Grace
We had Jacob on a gluten free/dairy free/sugar free diet for a little over a year and I know exactly what you mean about how exciting it is when finding a place that carries what you need. It IS like a kid in a candy store.
You are to funny! I actually prefer eating tofutti sour cream. I love the taste and don't even buy the dairy version anymore. Have you ever had tofutti bars instead of making your own soy cookie frozen treats? I love those too. We eat a lot of the rice dream products also. We are very blessed to have lots of choices when it comes to alternate eating. My local grocery store sells just about everything these days too. I was wondering about a Trader Joe's also. I love them and drive quite a ways to get there goodies. Glad you have a new grocery store for your little cuties!
I can totally relate! We do not have very good options for natural/organic grocery stores around here. I am always complaining. HOwever, our local grocery in town (only 1 mile away) does have some selection of organic produce and a decent section of organic packaged goods. I am just dying for a whole foods to open around here. There is one whole foods around but it takes me 30 minutes to get there... urgh. Though, I do sometimes make the trip.
Grace - We DO have a TJs about 30 miles away. I've been there only once.
Amanda - (I don't know why your comment didn't publish) - No prob on the Papa scare. It was a breakdown in communication on my part & Flynn LOVES those apple slices! (I can't get her to eat them otherwise)
Angela - We do have a WFs. Also about 30-35 miles away.
FHLM - We love tofutti, bought some today, they didn't make the cut for the photo. They had 3 different flavors. We went w/ just regular "white" ice cream. Little cuties, for the little cuties.
I'm so glad this store opened by you. I honestly don't know what I would do without Whole Foods. I'm lucky to live in an area that has everything - we are 10 miles from Philly. So WF's is only a few miles from my house. We also have TJ's a few miles away. The alternatives they have now are really great! Let me know how the Tofutti "cheese" is - I have not found Tofutti brand.
I don't get cuties anymore since taking Alysa off soy (intolerance not allergy). I switched to rice dream ice cream only. I miss the cuties.
It's amazing how little I get for so much money when I go to WF's. I can't even look at the total anymore. LOL
Post a Comment