6.06.2008

Another Crazy Day

While I am very careful about what I say, I don't necessarily assign words so much power that I believe what I say dictates the events of our lives.
So, I think it's 'okay' that I felt (this morning when I woke) like it was not going to be a great day.
After a few things, not worth mentioning, set the tone for the day, I felt like just crawling back in bed. But we had a fun birthday party to go to, that we wouldn't have missed for the world. So, not getting on with our day, was not an option.
Then, I am helping Flynn pull a fun birthday dress over her head when I see something under her arm. What in the world? When I inspected closer what I saw was a tick. No biggie, they're thick 'in these parts', so I escorted her into the bathroom where my tweezers are kept.
At closer look, I realized that the legs were dangling & free.... which I thought would make for an easy removal. I picked up the tweezers, gave the tick a pull (all the while Flynn is freaking out), but it would only pull her skin UP with it. Which meant that tick's head was good & embedded. I tried everything -- the handsoap on the cotton balls to smother it....the cotton ball sopped with hydrogen peroxide, you name it. And I had read up on the stuff that's no longer considered safe. Thirty minutes of pulling this tick in hopes the head wouldn't detach & stay in her skin.
I called Grammy, who knows all about anything outdoors & asked her advice. Then I called Nana, who like Grammy is a Christian version of witch doctor & have every home remedy. But no one's advice was helping us, so I called the pediatrician's office. And made an appointment for as soon as I could get in.
Which meant scrambling nervously about, getting peeps dressed, jumping in the shower, etc., etc. Then it was one of those, Gabe having an accident right before we walk out of the door, can't find the keys, can't find other things I need to find, - kinda day.
On the way, we hit something on the highway, which nearly sent me into hysterics. There was massive traffic, and everyone in front of me drove ridiculously slow. Then there were NO open parking spots at the ped.'s office, so we had to park really far away & take the basement entrance. We waited over 5 mins for the elevator & on the way up, I realized I didn't have on a spec of make up...my wet hair pulled back by my sunglasses. 'Gees' I thought, 'I sure hope I don't see someone we know.'
But we of course (how often do you see a friend at the DOCTORS OFFICE?) saw Al, his mom, & Baby Aidan. But she's seen me at 6:30 am many a day sans make up, so I doubt she cares.

The dr WAS able to get that nasty tick out... in a jiffy. Here's how:
when a ticks head is EMBEDDED, you must make him open his jaw. Using your tweezers or nails, take his BODY & bend it, almost like he's doing a back bend. And that will cause him to unclench his jaw & his head will then come out of the skin.
NASTY!
But now you'll know.
I wish I had,
I would've saved a co-pay.

I called Amy to get directions to Delaney's party from the dr's office. She told me about flynn's cake alternative plans & the tricky labeling made her think what she had planned to buy was unsafe. So, a trip to walgreens was in order...they usually have a good selection of safe cookies. So I swung by there for some NUTTER BUTTERS, yowsa!, $4.59?? So, I got a $2 sleeve of them. But those things are so tasty -- well worth it.
But on the way there, at a somewhat busy 4-way stop, a person who should've been like 2 turns after me, someone nearly clipped us.

Thank goodness for a fun bday party to take a break from the madness.

But on the way home from the 'city', we had to drive through the storms. Two tornadic storms passed through. We only had to drive through sideways rain, but made it through--it just took a LOT longer.
Gabe took his nap on the last 1/2 of the ride home (a whopping 20 mins) & when he does that, he won't return to his slumber once we're home. Which means, short nap, early bedtime, waking up in the middle of the night. Sorry Nana, didn't this happen last time?
My parents are keeping the kids tonight so that Jeff can take me out for our anniversary. Honey, I don't know what you have up your sleeve, but there are supposed to be storms for the rest of the day....let's just hang out here on our new floors?

So, schwoo, home dilly dally. What a day.

Hope yours was just as great. ;)

3 comments:

Sue said...

Wow! What a day. I cringed with the tick story. I hate bugs and dread the day I have to deal with ticks. Glad to know the bend the thing in half tip.

Sounds like you need a night to relax. Your anniversary celebration is perfectly timed at least. Your day sounds a bit like mine yesterday. Nasty-nasty day - bad food allergy problems with Kayla's school. Still sick over it - she is Ok - no reaction, just ignorance!!!

Anyway, have a great night and enjoy!

4under3 said...

Phew...my hearts-a-pumpin' after reading all of that. And I can't get over that it all happened in one day. Less than a full day at that.

First, quite the visual with the somersaulting tick. I'll remember that one.

Second, Nutter Butters are my FAVORITE. Ok, next to many others, but I do LOVE them too.

Third, can't wait to hear how your date turned out?

And last, thanks for the great comment about Ms. You-know-who.

Lakeville Vertical said...

What a day indeed. Keeping that tick info tucked away. Hopefully I won't ever have to use it but anything to save a copay is fine with me.
It was fun to read the comments below. You are pretty creative to think of that and thrifty too. Hoping your weekend goes great and that you and hot hubs get a date, even if it's only hanging on the new floor. :)