6.11.2008

Mom's Taxi

I know she's only four, but I'm a little put-out at my girl right now & the feelings she has of ungratefulness & lack of appreciation for all the time I spend with her.

At least 20 times per day, she approaches me... usually with a book in her hand, wanting me to stop dead in my tracks, plop down on the couch, & read to her (or play with her, or take her somewhere, etc....etc.). When I give her my reply, "I can't right now, I'm [washing dishes] (insert any given chore I must do on a daily basis)", she gets mad, "You NEVER do anything with me."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Yesterday, we spent each waking hour of the day (there was a lot of waking hours for she was napless yesterday) TOGETHER. She was by MY SIDE in every single moment, save for the few times at the park yesterday morning when she ran off to play with a friend.

Just now, she got frustrated at me because I wouldn't stop what I was doing to "read!, just this page!!"

So, I gave her 'what for':
"Flynn, how can you say I don't do anything with you???? Monday night, I took you to eat, to the library, & to visit with friends! Yesterday morning, we spent an hour & a half at the park with friends! Then went straight to McDonald's for a lunch date with friends...then onto the pool with our friends, where we swam for two hours. Then, we met Daddy for supper so that we could see him before his soccer camp. And then we played here at home & momma gave you a nice long massage before bed time.
Then we wake up this morning & all cook french toast together.
Maybe I'm spoiling you! Maybe you have too much to do & it's making you think that every minute I should be entertaining you!!"

After I calmed down, I called her aside:
"Does Momma have a job? At church? And what things do I do during the week, when we're not at the church?"
Flynn: "You send postcards to little kids."
Me: "Yes, and I help teachers & helpers by reminding them of when they help us & teach. And what if I didn't remind Miss Bitsi that she was going to be your teacher? She might not show up. And what if she showed up & said, 'Kids, I don't have anything to teach you because Miss Amy didn't buy curriculum this time. And we have no snack either.' Baby, I work hours each day to plan things for church, to organize things, I call people & make sure that families are happy."

She took it all in. Then I went on to break things down for her as for my responsibilities here at home....reminding her that if I didn't do laundry, we'd have no clothes to wear. That if we didn't clean we'd have bugs. Or would not be able to find anything.

She listened actively, as if she understood. She interjected things that I do. And I explained that the mornings or full days, that we spend doing fun things so that we have a good summer, that I have lots to do once I get home. And unfortunately don't have time to sit down any old time & read a book.

I felt we really understood each other. And when I was walking away from the bathroom, where we had our chat, she yelled out to me,
"Hey Mom! Can we go to Delaney's house?, we haven't been there in a long time."

Ugh.

2 comments:

Sue said...

It starts already...

Unknown said...

Just don't blink...before long she'll be asking others for rides.

(About the photo --- I think it was a costume catalog or art design book. Dad was very creative and did big productions. Wish I had it now. On 2nd thought I probably do, but that would mean going through 57 boxes that I can't possibly sort through and toss one piece of paper out of...)
:)