Back in January, I got the idea that I wanted to join a gym. Curves specifically (a women-only, circuit work out place). Knowing that the monthly payment was not welcome anywhere in our budget, I tried to brainstorm the best (only) way to make it work.
So, I figured, if I could get a job there, part time, working say - one or two evenings per week, I would not only have a TINY bit of spending money, but would have a free membership, PLUS, would be killing two birds with one stone by working out on the evenings I'm already there working.
So, I went one morning, walked in & said to the employee, "Hi there. Can I have an application?"
She quickly cut me off, "Oh, we're not hiring."
I knew she wasn't the owner or the manager, so I was surprised to hear her answer that way. In my days of management at different companies, you always took applications of individuals who seemed like they could make an outstanding employee. I mean, I don't have MASTERS DEGREE stamped on my forehead, but you know what I mean.
I persisted, "Well, can I fill out an application anyway?"
Her: Sure.
The whole time I was filling it out, I had a feeling that my application was going to get tossed the minute I walked out the door. But, wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt & filled it out except for one phone number.
And the next day, I called back (figuring there'd be a different person working) to give the "missing" phone number.
"Well hon, I don't see your application anywhere. Hmmm. Maybe the owner took it? Well, I'll just write the phone number on a sticky note & put it in her box."
I wanted to tell her that I figured she could find the application because it's probably been shredded, but I didn't.
Granted, I'm not a fitness guru or have the body of Jane Fonda 35 years ago (or even today!), but I figure that I'm of a 'mature' age, have a decent education, lots of great work experience, & darn good references. Especially for a minimum wage job opening or locking a door to open a gym that pretty much runs itself. As far as I can see, the hardest part of the job is listening to a 70-year old woman talk about all the great deals she got a Dollar General that morning.
Fast forward four months. On a 'trial' (free) 3-week membership to Curves, I've been faithfully working my behind (well, one of the four) off. There is a young girl (like 20) who works there. She's very sweet. And she's VERY chatty. Like divulges lots of info. So, I said to her, "So Angie, have you worked here long?"
Angie: About 4 mos.
Me- thinking, hm, that's about the time I came in inquiring about a job.
Later, me: "Angie, do you go to church anywhere?"
Angie tells me the church she attends & starts telling me about allll the people who she attends church w/ who work out at curves.
And then.
She tells me.
"And you know Carol? She works here." She proceeds to describe the lady who "took" my application back in January & told me that they aren't hiring.
"well, Carol got me the job here. She really wanted me to get to work here."
Ahhh. Hm. So that's how it works?
PS Monday night, I heard Angie talking to a member, "So you said you were on a trip? In Albuquerque? Where's that?"
Apparently geography is not a job requirement.
5.14.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That's poop! I guess that's the Jefferson County way--it's not what you know. It's who you know (or who you're related to...oh wait--this isn't a school district we're talking about, here).
Oh my good friend! You have no idea how much I enjoyed this story..... Love it, love it, love it!!!!
I've been walking. When your free membership runs out (no pun intended) you could try that - it's free.
Grins.
That was kind of a slap in the face...But I'm glad you are sticking through working out. Better than what I'm doing! Are you going to continue working out there after the free membership ends? Have a great day! Keep up the great work!
They currently have a 'special' going, a partnership with Avon. It's 3-workouts per week, for $30/month AND you are part of a study (I'm assuming that you fill out questionaires, etc.?).
I MIGHT do that for a couple of months.
It's a program designed for those getting back INTO shape (they don't say that) becuz of the ease of the work out. After I've worked out there a couple of months, I don't think it would be a challenge anymore & that I wouldn't benefit much more (plateau).
Grace, you're funny...walking is free & is nice IN CALIFORNIA!!! Here in stinky MO, walking in 100% humidity in July is NO FUN. And at the 'right' time of day, could lead to a heat stroke.
So, I'll walk when I'm visiting my sis in CA. ;)
Really tho, right now (when it's NOT raining) it's pleasurable out there in the temps in the 70s (it's in the fifties today).
Okay, blah, blah, blah.
Post a Comment