Part of the charm that has helped Gabe continued to be my baby has been his speech delay. Poor fella, he just wants to communicate; and as hard as I try to not smile & grab him to try to rock him, it's hard to not do that instead of how I've been taught to respond (which is to repeat what he's saying, in the correct manner -- or to encourage him to say it correctly).I don't really care what others think when they see me literally applaud when my almost-three year old says the word "giraffe" correctly.
These small steps have been an encouragement to us that he will be talking normally by the time it really counts.
So today, when his totally-awesome-speech-therapist-who-we-wish-we-could-keep-here-and- not-let-her-move-on-with-her-career-and-schooling was greeting him, she did some reviewing & reassessing by asking him to repeat her name, "Prittine!" "Prittine!" (which I happen to believe is a combination of the word "Pretty" because she is + her name, Christine.) She giggled & clarified her name.
As I usually do, I started bragging to Christine with all the words he's said or the phrases we've understand since we last met. As I was recalling hearing him say, 'Wynn' yesterday (for Flynn), I decided to just let her hear it for herself. So I said, "Gabe, who is that?" (as I motioned to Flynn who was coloring at the table).
"FYN!!"
Aah, so surprised at the progress he made in 12 hours.... and so proud! We're so close!! Maybe we'll get that L mastered in the 9 days we have left until he's THREE. :)
11 comments:
That 'almost 3 year old' GRANDson of mine sure is special ... what a guy! We love him 'as is' ... he'll be talking so much in no time that we'll have a hard time remembering he ever had to struggle. Bless his little heart.
XOXOX, Grammy ;-)
Our little guy has a bit of his own language too. Isn't it so cute!! I told my husband awhile back that our little guy wouldn't be nearly as cute if he articulated like his big sister. ;)
That is awesome! Glad to hear that he is doing so great!!! Good job, Gabe!!!
Aahh...our 'baby boy' is growing up.
xoxox Aunt Gi
That nephew of mine is ONE HANDSOME FELLA! I love him so much!
Aunt Stuff...
I just truly truly love your blog! I love your variety and truth.
That's it. My thoughts. My drum roll to you.
:)
Rejoice away at those "small steps." As mothers, our goals and expectations for each child can be very different, but its so extremely gratifying when goals are reached or progress is made, even when it may seem small to others. The pride you feel is no different, no matter how big or small the goal may be.
Yay! Way to go Gabe!! Wow- so speech therapy before 3? I actually asked about my own son a year ago (he is about to turn 4) - but around here they said, give him another year. He's really come a long way in a year and most of the issues he had have resolved. He's almost there... but he' ll be 4 in a couple days, so I'm glad!
YAAAAAY - GREAT JOB GABE!!! That is so excititng! Congrats!
Gabe is putting forth so much effort with his speech and I can see it paying off for him, big time. Many blessings to Christine for all she has done to help. Gabe is so smart and so darn cute! I just love hearing him talk. Whether I can understand every word or not.
Nana
It's so great to find a therapist or doctor that we love. We've been lucky with our "medical team" as well. Congrats on his progress.
Post a Comment